Directory of members
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Phone: 902 - 471 - 3971
Cindy is a Bluenoser (Nova Scotian) with family roots in Prince Edward Island.She has been storytelling for over 30 years and to audiences of mixed ages and specific groups.
Cindy likes telling many different kinds of tales:
Folk, faerie, family,
Peace, pirates or the sea,
Historical or community,
G-G-Ghosts, ballads, tales of me.
In the past few years, Cindy has been creating one woman shows and presentations, such as:
- Tales of a Trailer Park Girl (personal),
- The Lady in the Lighthouse (historical),
- Tales Under The Darnley Bridge (family/PEI),
- Celtic Tales (folk),
- Songs and Stories from the Helen Creighton Collection (folk)
She is open to any theme or program idea, and loves to give storytelling or folk or Helen Creighton workshops to all ages.
- Storyteller for the Canadian Children’s Book Centre Tour,
- Proprietor and Performer for StorySong Express Education Entertainment.
- Creator of Literacy, Oracy and Music based program for Libraries and Early Childhood Education, called Shake, Rattle and Read, Halifax, NS
- Project Manager and Storyteller for Telling Your Family Stories Program at Pier 21, Immigration Museum, Halifax, NS: in partnership with Storytellers of Canada/Conteurs du Canada.
- Coach for Teens: blog writing and book reviews, storytelling in the community, telling ghost stories, hosting a teen author stage at Word On The Street, Halifax.
- Presenter and Storytelller at Mystic Seaport Music Festival, Connecticut, USA
- Co-Chair and presenter at the Canadian Society for Traditional Music Conference, Halifax, and Sydney, NS,
- Coordinator and presenter of Bluenose Ghosts workshops and Bluenose Ghosts Festival storytelling circle, Dartmouth, NS
- Presenter and Coach: Community and Historical Storytelling programs and workshops, Maritime Provinces and beyond. Topics such:
- The Halifax Explosion,
- The Shannon and the Chesapeake,
- The War of 1812 and the Halifax connection,
- The Peace Pavilion in Dartmouth,
- The Titanic Tragedy in Halifax,
- The Tallahassee Raider and the American Civil War,
- Pirates and Privateers,
- The Tragedy of the Babes in The Woods in 1842
- Local stories of Dartmouth and Cole Harbour
- Tales Told Under the Darnley Bridge (local stories, PEI),
- Finding and Presenting Local Stories in anglophone Gaspe, Que.
Cindy is a proud member of the Storytellers Circle of Halifax, the Cole Harbour Rural Heritage Society, the Dartmouth Heritage Museum, and the Writers Federation of Nova Scotia.
She is also the Storytelling liaison and Vice President of the Helen Creighton Folklore Society.
Cindy is a proud member and volunteer of Storytellers of Canada/ Conteurs du Canada: former President, Vice President, Past President, Newsletter Editor, Provincial Coordinator, Chair and member of various committees. Currently: Social Media Assistant, SC-CC Radio and Podcast Liaison to the Board of Directors and folk music researcher, and a genuine Silly Old Person aka SOP!