News and Events
Storytelling Toronto Awards
Storytelling Toronto Awards: The Alice Kane Award and The Anne Smythe Travel Award
DEADLINE February 29th, 2016
The Alice Kane Award
The Alice Kane Award is a $1,000 award presented by Storytelling Toronto in memory of Alice Kane (1908 – 2003). One of the co-founders of The Storytellers School of Toronto, Alice was a much beloved storyteller whose mastery of the art of storytelling made her an inspiration to many.
The award is offered annually to a person or persons who wish to advance the art of storytelling through research, innovative projects, or through their own personal development as a storyteller.
The Anne Smythe Travel Award
The $500 Anne Smythe Travel Grant was established to honour the memory of Anne Smythe, an active and well-loved member of the storytelling community. As a teller and author, she believed strongly in the value of travel and adventure in the development of a storyteller’s art.
The award is designed to support the work of an active storyteller through support of travel expenses related to a storytelling project. Storytellers should describing travel plans and budget, as well as how the proposed trip will enhance your storytelling work. The purpose of the travel could include research, mentoring, participation in conferences and festivals.
• The recipient(s) is/are selected through a juried process. The jury is anonymous.
• Open to members of Storytelling Toronto and members of Storytellers of Canada-Conteurs du Canada
• The Alice Kane Award will not be given for activities already completed.
• Applications must be received by Storytelling Toronto by February 29, 2016.
• The recipient(s) will be officially announced in the launch of the Toronto Annual Toronto Storytelling Festival in April 2016.
Expectations of the Recipient:
Within three months of completion of the activity, the recipient(s) is/are required to submit an article for publication for Storytelling Toronto’s Pippin newsletters.
The recipient(s) is/are encouraged make a public presentation relating to their activity within the year. More information can be found at www.storytellingtoronto.org or by firstname.lastname@example.org.