Hire a Storyteller
A storyteller tells from memory rather than reading from a book. The listener is very important in the storytelling process. For stories to live, they need the hearts, minds and ears of listeners. Without the listener, there is no story.
Choosing a storyteller
Storytellers of Canada-Conteurs du Canada website is not a booking agent, but provides a Directory of Storytellers where individual storytellers describe their repertoire, experience, travel availability, preferred age group and contact information. The booking agent decides which storyteller is best matched to particular needs.
The rate for storytellers recommended by SC-CC is currently a minimum of $250 per performance up to one hour. This rate reflects the time to research, craft and learn a story as well as the experience and professional development involved. As speech writers estimate their time as 20 hours for a 20 minute talk, storytellers provide exceptional value for this performance rate.
Where community considerations warrant, the teller may negotiate a lower fee. The teller is obliged to state the approved fee. Fees and expenses are negotiated with the storyteller. Payment is due on the day of the performance.
Looking to hire a storyteller? We can help!
- Preferred date/time and duration of performance (if predetermined)
- Age range and size of audience
- Language of performance
- Platform for hosting virtual performance or location if in-person (depending on Covid-19 safety protocols in your region)
- What, if any, topic(s) you are looking for in a story
- Honorarium/artist fees (see below for suggested rates)
- Contact information for the person doing the booking