The purpose of STORYTELLERS OF CANADA/CONTEURS DU CANADA (SC-CC) is to function as the national representative for those involved in maintaining and practicing the oral tradition of storytelling across the country.
SC-CC is dedicated to furthering the art of storytelling and bringing the diverse peoples of Canada together through story.
SC-CC seeks to promote, support and contribute to the growth of storytellers and to ensure the continuing development of the art of storytelling as an integral aspect of Canadian culture.
The organization shall be carried on without purpose of gain for its members, and any profits or other accretions to the organization shall be used solely to promote its objectives.
Objectives of SC-CC:
- To promote and develop storytelling as an art form by providing services to members and to the general public.
- To facilitate communication among storytellers nationally and to develop links with storytelling groups and organizations internationally.
- To encourage the participation of all peoples of Canada by promoting storytelling as a common root of our differing cultures.
How Does SC-CC Serve Storytellers?
- Advocates for the art form of storytelling;
- Advocates for storytelling groups and individual tellers;
- Provides opportunities for education, training, and professional development;
- Promotes communication between storytelling groups and storytellers;
- Maintains a social media presence in the form of Twitter, Facebook and a website;
- Provides a directory of members;
- Provides conferences and meeting opportunities;
- Provides a monthly notice board and a newsletter;
- Provides the latest National Arts News from the Canadian Arts Coalition ;
- Showcases member’s talent and products in the Member’s On Line Library;
- Provides group insurance through the writer’s coalition, and
- Develops and maintains contact with other national gatherings and professional associations.